I apologize for my inability to keep this blog updated, but when one is in class from 9-9 everyday it can be quite difficult to keep anything going in life. I started Essentials of TESOL (Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages) as a 5 hour elective for my program. It's been a great intensive course on not only how to teach, but how to plan, manage, motivate, discipline, create, entertain, draw, and prepare to teach other students on any level from beginner (knows very little English) to advanced (knows quite a bit). I have seen that this is not necessarily my passion and although I have enjoyed teaching, I don't think I'll pursue this as my life-long goal. I get tired of using words like gerunds, infinitives, modals, and past perfect progressive (remember those???). However, I know these skills will come in handy working with Micronesians.
A few funny things have happened. One of my teachers, who is incredibly interesting, invited a few students over to her house for lunch. We got there a little after 12:30 and she lives in an aviary. Seriously, she has 9 huge bird cages in her apartment and has at least 20 birds. But wait, it gets better. She didn't have lunch completely ready so I went into the kitchen and asked if she needed help. (There are 3 other ladies there). She asks me to cut the watermelon...so while cutting the melon, I politely started asking her a few questions about herself....and she freaked out. She asked me not to ask so many questions at one time (2 questions is all I asked) because it really frazzles her and she can't handle it. She wanted me to wait until later to ask her questions. I've never met such a single-track minded woman. It came across pretty harsh, so I just shut up and kept cutting my melon. And then before I was done, she told me she needed my knife and took it from me. Not asking...just took it out of my hand. All the while, she asked me to tell her about myself. I didn't say much...I was a little weirded out by the whole situation.
Finally we sat down and I wasn't about to ask too many other questions since I didn't want to get another response like before...I let the other girls ask questions. One of the other girls heard her response to me and got really scared...so she didn't talk the entire time. I laugh about it now...and we did once we got into the car...but I think she can be a really stressed person. She is an eccentric lady, but once she cools down (she finally got to that point once we were done eating) she is nice. It was a crazy lunch. Oh...she also has furs of animals draped on her furniture that she trapped when she lived in Alaska. Don't worry, not all my profs are this way.
That's all for now. If I have any more strange encounters in my 9-9 class I'll report them later.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
um. hilarious. mostly b/c i was there. kim went in and was like, 'oh...did you trap this?' concerning the furry thing on the couch. i think the prof likes kim even more now. i think you're pretty fantastic... only three more days. we might make it.
almost there...
Post a Comment