How difficult can it be to get a chauffeur's license here on Guam? Who ever knew you had to have that type of license to drive a 15 passenger van? The answer to that questions is: O-O-G. "Only On Guam." This is becoming a very popular phrase in my vocabulary the longer we are here. To pretty much do anything on Guam, be prepared for it to take a long time. But then again, perseverance produces patience, right?
The first week of September, Melissa (the dean of women at PIBC) and I crammed for our written exam to get our Class C license. We drove up to UoG (Univ of Guam) to take the test and were placed in a room with about 100 other people also taking exams for motorcycle license, chauffeur license, or just an operator's license. We left the test to find out that our results would be posted ONE WEEK LATER at the Fieldhouse at UoG. Therefore, ONE WEEK LATER, we arrived to find out we both had passed our written exam. The next week, it took Melissa 3 (yes, I said three) tries going to the DMV to get her license (they would keep telling her she had the wrong paperwork).
So last week we thought when I went to get my license, I would know everything I would need to breeze through the process. Lo and behold, it took me 3 times of going to the DMV to get the right paperwork and complete my "exam." The exam consisted of showing the grumpy old man where the fire extinguisher, the first aid kit, and the reflective triangles were and how to use them...no driving, no getting into the van and testing to see my skills, no nothing. I guess if they think I can use a fire extinguisher, I can drive a 15 passenger van safely. If you could only see my happy face on my license when I got my picture taken. As I said earlier, OOG.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Well, now you have a real future, driving a van! Just where do you plan to drive? Karen
Holly, I have news for you!!! You can take your cousins on a bus tour to Kansas/Oklahoma when you return to state-side. Your Dad will give you all the info you need for the trip. Aunt Karen will buy you a fire extinguisher for the bus. See, you do have a future...Justin could be your tour guide. Aunt Janice
Post a Comment